2009/8/23 Eleanor McHugh <eleanor / games-with-brains.com>:
> On 23 Aug 2009, at 00:44, Brad Mr wrote:
>>
>> Except in REBOL 3 all parts but the most core components are going to be
>> opened sourced. I wish I knew more about C I would gladly contribute.
>
> For many people that caveat alone will rightly or wrongly sway their
> perception of the language.

I for myself try to stick to opensource where possible.

There are some ideological reasons that might or might not apply in
particular cases but there are certainly very pragmatic reasons as
well.

Since I have the source I can easily do minor adjustments to the
software and perhaps try to debug any issues I encounter. I have never
worked with a compiler or interpreter regularly without encountering
issues so this part is very important for me. Even if I cannot find
the cause myself I can consult others and test patches easily. When
the original author quits and there is interest in the community the
software can continue to evolve can be seen with _why's work now.

So unless I *really* need a feature that is only available in
non-opensource software I choose an opensource alternative where
available.

Nothing is more annoying than a "freeware" that has a minor glitch
which would be dead simple to fix but you have to rewrite it because
you do not have the source.

Thanks

Michal