On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:06 AM, lith<minilith / gmail.com> wrote:

> He only removed his account and the master tree. Since he is the
> copyright holder for the original version of his OSS, he has the right
> to do so. The "community" should be thankful for the time and effort
> he put into his software in the past and respect his decision.

I think there was a misunderstanding.   If you blow out a github
account, it destroys the fork networks downstream.
This means that a lot of forked repositories went out of service.
All of the data is still there (on people's local machines for
re-pushing), but it left those folks to rebuild the networks manually.

Saying "Maybe Github should fix that" isn't overdoing it.  I don't see
a good reason why there should be service interruption to downstream
forks if the original author disappears.
I think this optimization was built on open source trust in the first
place, and is worth questioning though.

-greg