On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Mark<markonlinux / internode.on.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:35:47 -0500, Gregory Brown wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>> Speaking as one practicing Buddhist (and by no means for all Buddhists):
>>
>> Things are impermanent by themselves... a volitional destructive act is
>> not a helpful lesson in impermanence, but something that adds
>> unnecessarily to suffering.
>>
>> At the very least, it'd help to not conflate "disappearance" with
>> "obliteration".  ¨טילו ¨ליכבמשפטימח ולףוקו דבלובעזעןם במ>> phenomena, we don't need to make life any harder than it already is.
>>
>> -greg
>
> I only hope he's ok, as it seems like an act of someone not in the right
> frame of mind. Obviously I have no evidence to support that, but if he
> has suffered a breakdown I hope someone's there to look after him. People
> often try to disappear from the rest of the world when they're depressed.
> Rational thoughts are not high on their priority list!
>
> I don't know. But I'm certainly not going to call it a 'dick act' or
> ridicule him for doing what he's done without knowing the facts!

I don't want to pass judgment either, honestly.  Non-personally the
act is destructive.  The circumstances won't change that, they'd only
change how _why's reputation is held if he ever decides to resurface.

But recognizing the problem with this act is relevant to our
community.  I imagine if this were a regular occurrence, Github would
have been doing true clones rather than what they currently do with
their fork networks.  If we really can't trust one another, then we
need to decentralize documentation and articles if we want to call
them 'community resources'.

Investigating the situation will help find the right balance.   I too
hope that the drama dies down soon though.