--001636284da684f37d0471a9fb9d

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Tony Arcieri <tony / medioh.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM, John W Higgins <wishdev / gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Github nor anyone else has no business whatsoever touching one single
> byte
> > of data that _why deleted from his account. This would be an absolutely
> > ridiculous precedent to set and in complete violation of their privacy
> > policy which clearly says Github has no rights to any data stored on
> their
> > servers.
> >

> Do concepts like open source and distributed source control escape you?  It
> may be that _why has moved on, but his source code will live on without
> him.

You apparantly chose to not read the entire message.

"Any snapshots or such that don't run afoul of any copyrights noted are
perfectly fair game - but to break into a deleted repository and take what
you please is just atrocious behaviour on every one's part."

I get the concept - I just don't think you get to break down my door because
I stopped giving access to the code. Are you saying that open source means
that if I had code on a server that I controlled in a data center that the
community has rights to break into the data center and take backup drives
because I stopped giving access to it? I've never said that open source code
can't be promogated in any way people want - it just doesn't give folks the
right to break into things to get access once I've taken it down.

If I've misunderstood some concept on Github or some other notion that's
fine - I just wish Github would say that we have no control over anything
once it lands there and that's that. People need to be able to make choices.
Just because I open source something doesn't mean I'm going to give access
to it forever. It means (at least to me) that people are allowed to copy and
do as they please - but not abuse my resources/accounts or to override
decisions I make in terms of availability of something.

John

--001636284da684f37d0471a9fb9d--