On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Jason Roelofs<jameskilton / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Rick DeNatale<rick.denatale / gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Well, one theory, and most likely?, is that he did it intentionally,
>> > another is that he was hacked somehow.    >> > on that.
>>
>> Do you really think there is a remote possibility that he was hacked
>> at this point?
>>
>> -greg
>>

> It's definitely too late now, or we would have heard if he got hacked.
I strongly feel so too.
> He
> closed up shop and destroyed almost a decade's worth of Ruby information,
> discussions, library documentation, ticket history, etc. I agree with Zedn
> this one, that was a dick move. People use and rely on the tools he's built,
> have contributed back to them, and have helped with the documentation. He
> didn't just destroy his work, he destroyed the work of hundreds, maybe
> thousands, of people who wanted to contribute to Open Source.
>
> I had tons of respect for _why and always marveled at his capabilities
> (while wondering when, if ever, he'd burn out, of course). But after this,
> well it's going to be hard to take him seriously if he ever shows up again,
> in Ruby or some other community.
Actually I never liked his style (that does not mean I did not respect him!).
But I feel you are a little too harsh with him. I guess most of his
work will be saved thanx to forks or by contributing back from local
repositories.
He might have had some very good reasons, e.g. employment, to do what
he did. I hope it was the right decision for him, that is all I have
to say to him.

> Huge props go out to github, at least we didn't lose any of the source code,
> history, etc, and to Rubyforge for not allowing people to delete their
> accounts.
U see;)
Cheers
Robert