On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Xavier Noria <fxn / hashref.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Jason Roelofs<jameskilton / gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It's definitely too late now, or we would have heard if he got hacked. He
> > closed up shop and destroyed almost a decade's worth of Ruby information,
> > discussions, library documentation, ticket history, etc. I agree with Zed
> on
> > this one, that was a dick move. People use and rely on the tools he's
> built,
> > have contributed back to them, and have helped with the documentation. He
> > didn't just destroy his work, he destroyed the work of hundreds, maybe
> > thousands, of people who wanted to contribute to Open Source.
>
> He has no obligation to do that. Behore him that didn't exist, well
> now it doesn't again. He has the right to disappear, and people may
> even appreciate life impermanence.
>
> Source code is all around, if people want to keep those projects
> healthy they have the sources and the means to do so. Starting point
> is very high compared to years ago.
>
> If that was his way of doing that, just respect him.
>
> (Of course this is all based on speculation.)

I never said he was obligated to keep it around, but that doesn't make the
move right or respectful in any way. Leaving the community is fine. Calling
it quits with Ruby, or programming in general, that's fine.

Destroying the many thousands of hours of work by OTHER PEOPLE simply
because it's HIS stuff, out of the blue and with no warning whatsoever, will
never, ever be looked at as "respectable".

In this one move, he broke one of the leading unspoken rules of Open Source:
respect the community. If you don't want to continue maintaining, or you
don't want to be around at all anymore, then say so, and people who want to
keep said projects running will do so.

If Matz decided that he was done with Ruby and wanted to move on, if he
pulled a _why and up and deleted ruby-lang.org, the entire SVN repository,
and shut down ruby-doc.org, there would be a HUGE outcry. If Jamis Buck
decided to completely shut down and delete capistrano instead of posting a
good-bye message like he did and letting others take up the reins, people
would be pretty ticked off. Why is what _why did here any different, that he
should be respected in this decision?

I think people have confused two issues here: _why's disappearance and the
destruction of all his work. _why calling it quits is FINE. He has every
right to leave, and yes he has every right to do what he did in the removal
of all this work, but that doesn't make it right.

Jason