On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Xavier Noria<fxn / hashref.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Jason Roelofs<jameskilton / gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's definitely too late now, or we would have heard if he got hacked. He
>> closed up shop and destroyed almost a decade's worth of Ruby information,
>> discussions, library documentation, ticket history, etc. I agree with Zed on
>> this one, that was a dick move. People use and rely on the tools he's built,
>> have contributed back to them, and have helped with the documentation. He
>> didn't just destroy his work, he destroyed the work of hundreds, maybe
>> thousands, of people who wanted to contribute to Open Source.
>
> He has no obligation to do that. Behore him that didn't exist, well
> now it doesn't again. He has the right to disappear, and people may
> even appreciate life impermanence.

Speaking as one practicing Buddhist (and by no means for all Buddhists):

Things are impermanent by themselves... a volitional destructive act
is not a helpful lesson in impermanence, but something that adds
unnecessarily to suffering.

At the very least, it'd help to not conflate "disappearance" with
"obliteration".  While (like anything else) we can learn from any
phenomena, we don't need to make life any harder than it already is.

-greg