Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Epic4/Ruby"
>     on 02/02/20, Jonas Bow <jonas / rfc1918.com> writes:
>
> |I *really* wish ruby had a BSD-like license.
>
> What's wrong with Ruby's license?  See [ruby-talk:34211]

Nothing wrong if Ruby is not to be used in other situation other than
small every-day hacks.

The problems with the Ruby license in commercial/OEM situations are that
it is vague and a bit fuzzy because of all the alternatives in it. It's
hard do understand how "free" Ruby is, especially when the word "GPL" is
mentioned in the license. The word "GPL" is considered to be a poison
regardless what is mentioned otherwise in the license.

As long as Ruby has any kind of relationship with the GPL it will have a
hard time to be part of commercial software, IMHO.

It seems that the only license working in commercial situations is the
BSD-license.

Regards,
	jonas