Hope Less wrote:
> Dear ruby list members
>
> Ruby is great...no, it's awesome! And you people make it even better by
> answering all those questions that Ruby users sometimes have. But you're
> one funny bunch fore sure. After reading this list for a while, I've
> come to the following conclusions:
>
> - The Japanese lot
> Dudes, you're awesome...you created the whole language and all...but
> dang, you're English grammar sucks! How can you possibly be smart enough
> to come up with a whole new language, but at the same time, be an epic
> failure at the one that is most widely used?
>
> - Robert D.
> France and England always have been and always will be at loggerheads.
> You seem to be trying to change that by actually trying to understand
> the French. And use there language on this forum. Please! Some of us
> here hate French. Unlike you, we were forced to learn it in school. An
> experience that scarred me for life. And probably negatively impact my
> intelligence as well.
>
> - Pascal J. Bouillon (oui?)
> You're last name sounds like a variant of fondue. You're persistence on
> comparing everything to Lisp, on the other hand, is much firmer. (By the
> way, did you somehow infect Robert D.?)
>
> - James Edward Gray II, King of Ruby Land
> The resident aristocrat. I do like your tutorial on M17N.
>
> - 7stud
> It's simple: first think, /then/ post. No, not the other way around,
> which will result in a mess - both here and in real life. Take it from
> me, I always make sure what I wrote makes sense before I post - which is
> why I end up never posting in the first place.
>
> - David B.
> You're...uhm...really good, I guess. Gee, there's nothing much to say
> about you. Can't even insult you based on a perceived lack of
> intelligence. You must therefore be lacking personality.
>
> - Eleanor McH.
> You know, English is not my native language, so I was in the mistaken
> belief that you were a dude like the rest of us...until I saw a picture
> of you somewhere on the web...now, every time I read one of your posts,
> I must make an effort to replace that mental image of the random nerd
> with that of the cute chick physicist.
>
> - Rick D.
> Just like I pictured Eleanor to be a dude, I imagined you to be in your
> 20ies. Unlike Eleanor's case, this might be flattering, though. Because,
> one day, I visit your profile on workingwithrails.com, and boom! goes my
> bubble. You're old - probably could be my grandpa! So, what was it like
> to be a programmer before WWII? Had electricity even been invented at
> that time? Or did you have hamsters (or nerds) on wheels to power your
> computers?
>
> - Park Heesob
> Jesus, you seem to know everything! I start reading a post, and I'm
> like: you're so screwed, dude, there ain't no easy solution to that
> [...]
This will be a test case for the question of whether humor and ruby mix.
Or maybe it's about THIS kind of humor ...combined with ruby. After all
this is a SERIOUS list. Must be the influence of all those Java folks,
who of necessity drink their own kool aid. I sometimes think this list
is a prime refuge for the Java toxified. So be it.

But, oh...the people you left off! Wow. I love who you included, but how
about Ryan Davis - the guy who is the source of fully 1/3 of gems
currently available, and who cannot release one with releasing another
20 at the same. He really ought to get a life, except that if he did it
would decimate our libraries. Such a dilemma. However, the accompanying
documentation, etc., strongly suggests that his 18th birthday is awfully
close. Never mind. His productivity is simply without equal. So what if
someone has to drive him from appointment to appointment?

And Dave Thomas...first off the starting block again and again, in the
area of making ruby accessible for newbies. I'm trying, but I'm having a
little trouble finding where to apply the heat with this fellow. I don't
understand how any one person can know as much as he seems to, about the
tiniest little pieces of Ruby. Best not to rock this boat too much
either, huh?

Then there our anonymous Islamic friends, who post here from time to
time. Not the serious professional ones, but the evangelical ones. You
know who you are. A perfect example of witless irrelevance (somewhat
like this post, perhaps). In any case, I hear that Ryan wants all such
email forwarded to him, for judicious handling.

Well, it IS August. In the USA, this is sometimes referred to as the
"silly season". It comes right before school starts up again. Last
chance to escape responsibility.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc / tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)