A version of Mike Sassak's gist

start = Time.now
printf "Starting to read file ...\nThe number of tokens is: %d.\nIt took
%.2f ms\n" , File.open(ARGV[0]){|f| f.inject(0){|a,l| a+l.split.length } } ,
(Time.now - start) * 1000

I won't call it elegant, that seems subjective to me, but I do appreciate
brevity.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Ben Christensen <benjchristensen / gmail.com