No it is not the fact that the method call is not within another method
call that is tripping me up.  It is that I cannot get it to work for me.

Consider the following code:
####################################
module Test

  def self.include(base)
    base.extend(ClassMethods)
  end

  module ClassMethods
    def call_me
      puts "Class method"

class Tester
  include Test
 call_me#toy.rb:23: undefined method `call_me' for
Tester:Class(NoMethodError)
end

Tester.new

yields the following results:
toy.rb:24: undefined local variable or method `call_me' for Tester:Class
(NameError)

Again I am assuming my 'call_me' is equivalent to my originally
referenced 'skip_before_filter'.

Thanks,

Cris