Stewart <stewart.matheson / gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 11, 4:27m, Brian Candler <b.cand... / pobox.com> wrote:
>> Stewart wrote:
>> > Hey I compiled ruby with readline support. However when i go to IRB i
>> > just get jibbrish when i press the up arrow on my keyboard. ny
>> > suggestions?
>>
>> You need the readline development libraries installed at the time when
>> you run ./configure. If you're under Linux, the package will be called
>> something like libreadline5-dev (Ubuntu/Debian) or readline-devel
>> (RedHat or other RPM-based distro)
>>
>> If that's not the problem, then you'll need to be more specific. What OS
>> are you on? What version of ruby are you building? What makes you think
>> you built readline support successfully? Look through
>> ext/readline/mkmf.log to see why the extension wasn't built, and post it
>> here if you don't understand it.
>> --
>
> Sorry I should have posted more info
>
> ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-darwin9.6.0]
>
> on mac os 10.5

This is not enough information.  What terminal emulator do you use?
Is it Terminal.app?  Is it AquaTerm.app? Is it another MacOSX application?
Is it an xterm in X11.app? or some other X terminal emulator?
Or do you use a Linux console or another X terminal emulator running
on Linux, and connect to MacOSX thru ssh?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__