Stewart wrote:
> ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-darwin9.6.0]
>
> on mac os 10.5
>
> I downloaded readline and compiled it my self. Then i compiled ruby.
> So I would suggest its there and working but I am not sure.

Did you install readline after compiling it? I imagine that ruby
couldn't find wherever readline decided to install its header files.

Say if those files went into /usr/local/include, then you could try
setting

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib"

before running ./configure

> I think it
> might be a linkage issue. Where can i find ext/readline/mkmf.log ?

cd /the/source/directory/where/you/built/ruby
cd ext/readline
ls
cat mkmf.log