Hi,

Phil Tomson wrote:
> >I would push to get Ruby adopted for a few apps I'm involved in, but
> >Ruby being GPL (*spit*) will probably make this pretty much a no-go
> >area, especially since Ruby isn't exactly the most well established
> >language :(
>
> And what's wrong with GPL? (he asks, ducking for cover:)... Well, maybe
> LGPL would be better for allowing Ruby to be embedded into commercial
> apps.

Both GPL and LPGL are no-go when it comes to commercial applications if
you dig into the details (or let lawyers do that). With GPL it is
obvious. I have recent experience of the troubles caused by using LGPL
in commercial applications.

I *really* wish ruby had a BSD-like license. This would make Ruby a lot
more attractive to be used in commerical products. The current Ruby
license is very fuzzy and that is it's main drawback.

But, Ruby will continue to be my preferd scripting language for every
day tasks. It's very unfortunate it can't be taken to higher levels than
that because of licensing problems.

/j