Calvin Nguyen wrote:
> Brian, I really appreciate the quick reply and the insight.  Our team
> was contemplating upgrading to Ruby 1.9 for all the new features but
> have concerns with any regression.  Will you tell me why you reccommend
> staying on 1.8.6 for production rather than 1.9?

The 1.9 language has a lot of backwards-incompatible changes which mean
that third-party libraries need modifying to make them work with 1.9.
Furthermore, the execution engine is completely new (YARV) and is still
shaking out bugs. It's not the incremental change you'd expect from the
minor 1.8->1.9 number change.

So unless you enjoy debugging other people's libraries and/or the
platform itself, you'll be better served by 1.8.6 for now IMO.

> Also how do you enter
> the accented e on "Café"
> in the console (IRB)?

On my keyboard, I typed Right-Alt-Gr + semicolon, followed by e.

I'm running Ubuntu Linux (Hardy in this particular case), and this UTF8
stuff works "out of the box".

What platform are you using? It seems you can type accents into a web
page, but not on the irb command line. Did you build ruby/irb from
source, or install it from a package?

Regards,

Brian.