So the implication here is that there is no way to define a local
variable at run time.  Investigating this question is, in fact, what
lead me the above discovery.  This is disappointing if true.

I can use method_missing to simulate late binding of local variables,
but it is inefficient to have method_missing called every time such a
variable is referenced. (No, I have not profiled to see if this is
really a performance concern, it just smells bad to me.)

Am I correct?  Is what I would like to do currently impossible?