2009/8/10 Jrg W Mittag <JoergWMittag+Usenet / googlemail.com>:
> Robert Dober wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 3:24 AM, Charles Oliver
>> Nutter<headius / headius.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Brian Candler<b.candler / pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> And again, that ignores that the AST is ever-changing and usually very
>>> different across impls.
>> I guess if I could really chose I would like a switch, and would like
>> the VM to keep the AST iff that switch is set (-a|--ast).
>> Goo{df} idea?
>
> Unfortunately, by then it will already be too late.
I am not sure I get you here, when I call ruby -a it surely would not
be too late for the compiler to keep the AST. My question was rather,
would it be too much overhead for the VMs to be prepared to have the
AST and expose it via an API in that case?

Probably that is much work OTOH it would be great for studies and experiments.
I hoped Charles would have some time to give me his view on this, but
of course he is a very busy man.

Cheers
Robert
--