Hell why not (*rhetorical*)!  Didn't Modula-2 or Oberon have its own
OS?  Smalltalk was designed to hijack the whole system (it's why they
have to build their own closed-off world in the form of a workspace now
isn't it?)  There is actually hardware that was designed specifically
for Lisp still out there.  But at the end of it all what are you trying
to gain?

--
Alexander Schofield