> I've got eruby going however, whenever I try to require, the script times out.
>
> cygwin is under E:\cygwin
> ruby is under E:\ruby
> eruby binary is in cgi-bin

I've gotten timeouts using eruby with scripts that had a section like
this:

-----------------------

require 'eruby'
compiler = ERuby::Compiler.new
code = compiler.compile_file( rhtml_file )

r, w = IO.pipe
$defout = w

eval( code )

$defout = $stdout

w.close
output = r.read
r.close

cgi.out{ output }

-----------------------

Is this the type of script you have?  This can hang, but eruby is not
the culprit.  Above a certain size IO.pipe doesn't seem to work right.

here's a script to demonstrate IO.pipe hanging:

-----------------------

aString = ""
# 610.times works
611.times { |i| aString += "print \"#{i}\"\n" }

puts aString.length

r , w = IO.pipe

$defout = w
eval( aString )
$defout = $stdout

w.close
output = r.read
r.close

print output

If you use a Tempfile, instead of IO.pipe, the above script works.  My
machine is isn't stressed for memory when I run this script, either.

Is this a bug?  Is this a limit of the language?  Are there any work
arounds?

~ Patrick May