Brian Candler wrote:

> I can make functional websites, and I have a pretty good understanding
> of HTML/HAML and CSS/SASS,

Even still, I'd encourage you to check out the css-discuss mailing list:
http://www.css-discuss.org. The folks there are masters at making sites
that are absolutely stunning, yet standards complaint and accessible for
folk with a variety of disabilities who use a number of browsers besides
IE/Firefox/Opera (i.e. - text-based).

There are all sorts of things that you _can_ do to make sites more
aesthetically pleasing. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you
_should_ do many of them. First and foremost, Web sites should be usable
by the client. often, though, many popular graphics techniques for
building sites actually hinder usability. This doesn't mean that good
sites have to be ugly; the two are absolutely not mutually exclusive.
That's why I highly recommend css-discuss. Those folks just have
crazy-mad skills when it comes to making beautiful and usable sites.