Sorry for the OT, but I figure there must be other people on this list
who have been in the same boat as me.

I'm looking for resources on good web *design* - by which I mean
designing a website which is visually appealing.

I can make functional websites, and I have a pretty good understanding
of HTML/HAML and CSS/SASS, but it's pretty gutting when the *error page*
from Phusion Passenger looks 10 times better than the website I'm
deploying :-)

A paper book with lots of examples would be good, and I'm quite happy to
pay for one, but would appreciate some ideas for which ones are worth
seeking out. Good online resources are fine too, of course.

Many thanks,

Brian.