fast_xs version 0.7.1 has been released!

* <http://fast-xs.rubyforge.org/>

fast_xs provides C extensions for escaping text.

The original String#fast_xs method is based on the xchar code by Sam Ruby:

* http://intertwingly.net/stories/2005/09/28/xchar.rb
* http://intertwingly.net/blog/2005/09/28/XML-Cleansing

_why also packages an older version with Hpricot (patches submitted).
The version here should be compatible with the latest version of Hpricot
code.

Ruby on Rails will automatically use String#fast_xs from either Hpricot
or this gem version with the bundled Builder package.

String#fast_xs is an almost exact translation of Sam Ruby's original
implementation (String#to_xs), but it does escape "&quot;" (which is an
optional, but all parsers are able ot handle it.  XML::Builder as
packaged in Rails 2.0 will be automatically use String#fast_xs instead
of String#to_xs available.

Changes:

### 0.7.1 / 2009-07-30

* 2 bug fixes:

  * extra: CGI::escape handles high bits correctly
    - thanks to Jesse Storimer for helping me find this
  * fix build on systems with poor symbol visibility
    - thanks to Jeff Solomon for helping me with this

* cleaned up build/packaging/documentation

Browse gitweb for full history:
  http://fast-xs.rubyforge.org/git?p=fast-xs.git

--
Eric Wong