Hi Derek,

I did it the hard way, I bought the Agile Web Development with Rails book,
read it multiple times, then built the depot demo app multiple times (I kept
screwing up and missing a step or two).  Download the code from the web site
and keep it locally, it makes things way simpler.

I now have a beginner's concept of Rails, many of the subtle techniques
still elude me, but I have built successful web apps with Rails.