in the media/audio/video, what is called "dataflow" is a very popular
paradigm.PureData is a good open source example of it:
http://puredata.info/
but still, these dataflow environments have provision for script/code boxes
to be integrated with the rest of the flow, because in the end, certain
things are really easier to do with a couple of words in a text file.

for pure programming, I heard recently of flow based programming as a
forgotten programming paradigm which could solve many of the problems we
nowadays face with OO:
http://jpaulmorrison.com/fbp/

L-P