Hi all,

I've just recently discovered ruby. I have a very large database
management/ content management app written in PHP. Since skim reading
the Pragmatic Programmers guide to Ruby i've fallen in love with it. I
honestly think that I could chop 40% of the code off my CMS by using
Ruby instead of PHP. I'm really desperate to transfer over to ruby to
gain the extra features. I'm very very excited by the features ruby
has (i actually found it difficult to sleep last night thinking about
it).

Unfortunately, unless I'm malinformed, ruby has a wee way to go yet
untill I would risk swapping over. Here's some things that need to be
done for Ruby to explode. These are mostly what PHP had when it
exploded.

Windows (Ruby + Eruby or similar)/(Apache + stable mod_ruby)
installer.
- No half working eruby (i havn't been able to get eruby to work on my
windows box yet)

No picking cygwin ruby or djpp ruby etc.
-Just one simple download.

- mod_ruby for windows! a stable mod_ruby... I read somewhere it leaks
memory every use and that it can't be fixed cause way ruby is built.
Say goodbye to possibility of using eruby in production environment!

Easy database interface.
-DBI for PERL ring any bells? Ruby has one i think but at about vers
0.00001??

Any comments?

btw... php is so 2000, long live ruby. :-)
Cheers,
Billie