Garry Freemyer wrote:

> Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 2 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java SE 6, J2SE 5.0 and J2SE 1.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.4 and later. The release updates Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_07, J2SE 5.0 to version 1.5.0_16, and J2SE 1.4.2 to 1.4.2_18. The update is available through Software Update and the Apple Support website.
>
> The parts in bold seem contradictory. When I read things like Updates J2SE 5.0 to version 1.5.0_16 it seems like more of a downgrade to me. Going from 5.0 to version 1.50_16 WTH?!!"

I recently learned that my Mac Mini included several versions of Java.
By default it runs some version of Java 5.

I tried to run the Glassfish gem, got an error about how the gem
required Java 6, and did the most reasonable thing I could think of:
bitch about Apple on Twitter.

A minute later a friend replied with instructions on how to select among
the different Java's available.  Happiness!

The different versions are for 32- and 64-bit Java 5 and 6 (though Java
6 is only available for 64-bit OS X)

So, an upgrading of the installed Javas could very well involve
multiple, seemingly incompatible, versions.

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com            - Smart application development