I downloaded ruby-1.6.6 & guzipped & tared it.

I removed the comment marks (#) before all the module names from
ext/Setup. & setup ran fine with no obvious complaints.
(option nodynamic is still commented out).
I ran  'make' and  got an error message:

        /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
       collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
       make[1]: *** [ruby] Error 1
       make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/ruby'

I removed the comment mark from option nodynamic. This made no
difference.

I guess make can't find X11.

I have Redhat Linux 6 on a 386 laptop. very standard.
I have Tcl/Tk and I thought the install would be easy.

Can anybody give me a clue

David