Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: [RCR] Thread.abort_on_exception default to true"
>     on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:19:55 +0900, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 / gmail.com> writes:
>
> |Background:
> |currently if you have a thread that "dies" without being cleaned up
>
> What do you mean by "clean up" here?  If you care about the thread
> status, you can call join, that reports the exception inside of the
> thread.

If you don't know when a thread will finish, it's hard to know when to
call join. I'm not arguing for the RCR, though. The default makes sense
to me--one poorly-rescued thread won't take down the process.

Still, I don't see an easy way for a master thread to wait for worker
threads to finish and report their results as soon as they are
available. The alternatives:

1. thread.each {|t| t.join} # blocks on first running thread

2. polling

3. queues

Maybe if there were a ThreadGroup#wait or something...