On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM, lith<minilith / gmail.com> wrote:

>> So it is not a matter of IDE versus TM, say, you can use RubyMine just
>> because of the editor and project management, and still have your
>> consoles around.
>
> You could also use Netbeans and still "have your consoles around".

Sure, the editor of your preferred IDE would do for this use pattern.

> How exactly does RubyMine relate to IntelliJ IDEA? Is it an
> independent product? Or is it more like IntelliJ IDEA + Ruby plugin -
> everything else?

It's been ages since I used IntelliJ. I am almost certain RubyMine is
an independent product that shares the undelying IDE engine somehow. I
guess it does because the first versions are rich in IntelliJ non-Java
specific features already.

In my opinion they are going to do for Ruby/Rails what they did for
Java, come to the market with a winner. (Hey just an opinion, no
relationship with them).

Also, there are free licenses for using RubyMine for open source
developers, I didn't need to purchase a license.