In article <20020218190546.GA85367 / voi.aagh.net>,
Thomas Hurst  <tom.hurst / clara.net> wrote:
>* Joakim Andersson (tyrak / borgship.net) wrote:
>
>> The current patch has some minor issues that I'm working on, I
>> corrected one thing today, but the big issue right now is to make each
>> "alias" execute in its own context. And I'm having some problems doing
>> that with Ruby from C, for details see my post earlier today with the
>> subject "Problems with Ruby in C" some help with that would be really
>> appreciated.
>
>What about things like event handling?  Do we have to call the ruby
>aliases from the standard scripts for those?
>
>Do things like require work as expected?  I don't wanna write some stuff
>using it only to find it leaks like mad or something :)
>
>freaky   31255  0.0  0.4  2408 1536  p1  SNs+ 13Jan02   8:53.55 epic
>(epic-EPIC4-1.0.1)
>
><wonders how stable epic CVS is>
>
>I would push to get Ruby adopted for a few apps I'm involved in, but
>Ruby being GPL (*spit*) will probably make this pretty much a no-go
>area, especially since Ruby isn't exactly the most well established
>language :(

And what's wrong with GPL? (he asks, ducking for cover:)... Well, maybe
LGPL would be better for allowing Ruby to be embedded into commercial
apps.

Actually, if you look in the COPYING file that comes with the ruby source
distribution you'll see that it's licensed under the GPL -OR- several
listed conditions.  Here's #4:

"  4. You may modify and include the part of the software into any other
     software (possibly commercial).  But some files in the distribution
     are not written by the author, so that they are not under these
     terms.

     For the list of those files and their copying conditions, see the
     file LEGAL."

Phil