I have had a look at the expect.rb in the 1.6 library.
It seems that this can only expect on one pattern at once.
Am I wrong?  The expect examples in the CVSweb on ruby-lang.org
seem to confirm this.  (BTW, I can't fine expect.rb in the CVS
itself.  Is that intentional?)

Questions provoked by this:

Are there plans to improve this funtionality to allow one to expect on
many patterns, performing actions as appropriate?

Is anyone familiar enough with the internals of Don Libe's Expect such
that they could tell me whether it is *very* tied to Tcl?

Given the last question, and that SWIG is improving all the time, is
is practical to attempt to wrap the C API of Expect to yield an
interface that Ruby could use?  By practical, I mean not muvh over a
day's work to do this.  I can't put in much more time for this just now.

        Hugh