Dave:
> > |    if $_.chomp?
> > |       str = $_.dup.chomp!
> > |    end
> I _think_ the external interface is unchanged by this -- all that
> happens is that th dup gets deferred until needed.

Well, this time we're optimizing, writing less code and it's more readable.
Most of all, the intention is clear.

If I could whine a little, I'd change chomp? to chompable. $_.chomp? gives
me feeling of ($_ == $/).

> Once these performance experiments
> are finished I'll post the results, and maybe we could have some fun
> trying to tune the interpreter.

Great idea. Before you post any results, could you tell a little bit about
the underlying architecture? Are you using benchmark.rb, something homegrown
or adaptation of some existing framework (like RubyUnit)?

	- Aleksi