* Sean Russell (ser / germane-software.com) wrote:

> Thomas Hurst wrote:

[Dynamically linked /bin]
> Bad news.  I'm glad I've never encountered it.  It sounds like an advisory
> email to the worst offenders (Redhat?  Mandrake?) is in order.

Probably, but I'd rather keep it as a way to bash them ;)

Plenty of people here use these dist's (that was a RedHat box I
believe), they can do it, or they can switch to something good ;)

[/Vim?/]
> Until you get in the habit of keeping track of which mode you're in,
> it is easy to make mistakes.

That big-ass "-- INSERT --" is enough of a hint for me to keep track of
modes as well as, if not better than keeping track of, say, where my
mouse is.

> If you're like me, you probably hit "ESC" a lot

No, I rebound ESC to caps lock actually :)

> when you don't need to while working in vi, just to make sure you're
> in the right mode.  By now, it is second nature, and I don't notice
> that I do it.

I don't hit escape much, actually, not in vim anyway.

> Again, the caveat is that, by now, I love modes -- however, I try not
> to confuse "what I like" with "what is correct, or best."

Well, vi is aimed at console and keyboard use; there's not a whole lot
of other ways you can squeeze all that power into an editor without
either using emacs-style Ctrl-Meta-Alt-Delete-Backslash-A-B-Esc or Vim
style <ESC>:<commands>.

User interface designers can spout off as much as they like about it,
but until they come up with a more intuitive editor that keeps the power
and speed, they're just spouting.

> > Some syntax folding support would be nice though.. things like huge
> > quantities of inline documentation are really destracting.
>
> I think they have it -- isn't it in the most current version of the
> Ruby mode??  I seem to remember it being mentioned in a thread in this
> group, somewhere.

Yeah, but I'm lazy, and I don't usually write code I want to fold, so
the cost of looking into it and installing it were greater than ignoring
it and waiting for vim patchlevel 3,000 or Vim 6.1 ;)

> Try the Project.vim script.

I'll have a look.  Think I grabbed it and forgot about it.

> > Not really.  There's nothing stopping someone who doesn't believe in
> > God thinking the question is currently or ultimately unsolvable.
>
> Hmmm.  One dictionary I have defines an agnostic as someone who, among
> other things, neither affirms nor denies the existence of a personal
> Deity.  Being an atheist means that you deny the existence of God;
> therefore, you can't also be an agnostic.

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/sn-definitions.html

Being humans, there is nothing stopping us from holding different
viewpoints about the same thing; I believe FreeBSD is better than Linux,
but I also accept that Linux has advantages and may be better in some
circumstances; I believe Ruby is better than PHP, but also accept that
PHP may be faster and more appropriate in some circumstances; I believe
God does not exist, but I also accept that there's not enough
information to make that judgement entirely sound.

> Or maybe you can.  I've also heard the definition as one who believes
> we can't know whether or not there is a supreme Deity.  I guess in
> this case, we can't know.

Well, what I described (or meant, which may not be the same thing :)
is kinda like the weak "default" position; lacking a belief in God and
thinking there isn't enough information for any strong arguments either
way.  Lacking a belief in God isn't the same as believing God does
not exist, but both fall under the term atheist..  I suppose atheist
describes a position, and agnostic describes a reason :)

Erm, anyway, I direct any further discussion to alt.atheist/atheism,
where I won't see it, cos I really don't care ;)

> > Don't worry, there are drugs available that can help restore your
> > sense of humor ;)
>
> Oh, I have a healthy sense of humor.  I just keep it in a closet, for
> special occasions, and to scare small children.

I tried that once.  We didn't get any more trick or treater's for
several years :)

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky / aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-