"Sebastian W." <swittenk / yahoo.com> writes:

>Dear Rubyists,
>I realize this is a fairly off-topic question, but I'm wondering if any
>of you know of a tool that can read the output of "show run" (like in a
>Cisco switch), parse the output, and produce a nice-looking document.

>Anything perchance written in Ruby?

It's difficult to have a generic tool for Cisco configs considering the vast
number of options there can be and the somewhat idiosyncratic format they each
come in!

You may find something here: http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/

Unlikely to be any in Ruby though.

I have seen the occassional conversion s/w on the web but I have no references.

It depends a lot on what you mean by "nice looking document" of course.
Presumably you want to extract only certain portions for display.
I wrote a reasonably generic parser in Python some time ago, it basically
looked for indented sections and common prefixes and specifically checked for
the sort of thing we have on our routers.  I could try and dig it out if
you're interested (email me).  I also started an extendable parser in Ruby but
it's far from done and it was the first non-trivial Ruby program I wrote so
it's probably very bad Ruby style (it's probably also way over the top since
it was for analysing the contents of Pix configs).

Eddie