--001485f631b282d98e046e9d9ef7

I am trying to run an X.Org command from within ruby's shell commands and am
receiving "Command Not Found" errors.

As a walk through, I first start my X server (xvfb) and then start irb.  In
irb, if I type:

`ls -al`

I get the results I'd expect.  But, if I type:

`DISPLAY firefox`

I receive "command not found" error for the entire command.  At first, I
thought that X11 permissions were preventing me from accessing such
commands; but, I shouldn't see the "command not found" error if this was the
case.  When I close irb and run the same command DISPLAY firefox, I get
the results that I expect.  I've tried this with several X11 commands from
within irb and receive the same error.  I thought about whether a ruby
binding would fix this issue but I'm under the assumption that the shell
scripts (I've tried ``, %x[], system) only run the raw command... i.e.
`DISPLAY:firefox` translates to DISPLAY:firefox in the shell.

Would anyone know how I can access such a command from within a ruby shell
command?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg