Hello all...

I've been asked to give an opinion about whether
Ruby is suitable for a specific project.

I don't think I'm free to name the firms involved or
give too much information about the application.

There is some concern about whether Ruby is
"scalable" -- i.e., is it suitable for large projects,
large amounts of data, and high-profile web
apps?

My gut feeling is that it's doable. My biggest
concern is the performance issue.

Of course, a gut feeling doesn't count for much,
even with me.

I've already checked the RealWorld page on the
wiki... the level of detail I'm looking for is not
present there.

Can anyone give me some impressive figures?

Consider this a challenge!

I'm interested in:
1. lines of code (realizing first that this is a very
crude measure of project size, and second, that
Ruby code is very dense compared to, say, C++).
2. Number of data records (preferably in the millions).
3. Number of transactions per second
4. Number of hits per hour (web)

I have a feeling the largest apps are Japanese, since
Ruby is much more firmly entrenched there.

FYI, here is a quote (edited) from the email that was
sent to me.

    My BIG QUESTION is:  Is there a successful application
    of this magnitude -- or even approaching it -- that uses Ruby?

    We have engaged the services of SOME_COMPANY to
    provide technical guidance for the project --
    SOME_COMPANY.com for your information -- and its
    president -- JOHN DOE  -- says that there is no such
    successful use of Ruby.

    Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

So... this is a chance to further the Ruby community as a whole.

HOWEVER: Let me state the obvious. Don't cook the data. If we
persuade these people to go ahead, and it turns out (through no
fault of their own) that Ruby is not suitable, then instead we have
subtly damaged the reputation of the language.

Thanks,
Hal Fulton