--1926193751-911984625-12472397380641

Hi --

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, David Charles wrote:

> #person / cogeco.ca is in the string test12 which is a string of email
> addresses #separated by newline characters
> #puts test12 prints out very nice listing of all email addresses on a
> separate #line including the aforementioned person / cogeco.ca
> #I tried it with a test13 object in which I  "slice!"(ed) everything out
> #according to /[A-Za-z0-9_.% / -]+ / but I got the same results and puts
> test13 #basically shows the same as test12 with the newline characters
> removed which #was what I expected.
>
> if(test12.include? "person@coge") then
>    puts "person@coge found"
>  else
>    puts "person@coge not found"
> end
> ------>  Outputs ----->     erson@coge found>
> if(test12.include? "person@cogec") then
>    puts "person@cogec found"
>  else
>    puts "person@cogec not found"
> end
> ------->Outputs ------->      °∆person@cogec not found°«
>
> This is so bizarre I can°«t explain it.. I even tried splicing out all
> newline characters etc and I still get the same results.  As soon as I
> get to the second °∆c°« in cogec the string is not found in test12.  Of
> course my goal is to be able to find °∆person / cogeco.ca°« in the string
> test12 since it is in the string test12.
>
> (please note that I°«ve changed the original email address to person in
> order to protect privacy)
>
> Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem or if you have
> any ideas.

There has to be something going on beyond what you're describing.
String#include? does work:

>> str  person / cogeco.ca"
"person / cogeco.ca"
>> str.include?("person@coge")
true
>> str.include?("person@cogec")
true

Can you post an entire irb session, or equivalent, where you're
getting this problem, including showing the value of the whole string
(edited for privacy, of course :-)

David

Now available: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2)
Training! Intro to Ruby, with Black & Kastner, September 14-17
(More info: http://rubyurl.com/vmzN)