I was wondering on any feedback on which of the following pet projects
would be most helpful to the community.

1) create [another] ruby JIT
There are some ideas that could speed up the tired old VM [and the new
VM].  Speed is good, right?

2) Documentation: hack on rdoc with a few things -- some bugs, update
the hanna template so that it looks prettier, create a live method
introspection gem, add remote ri gem, etc.

3) hack on the KRI GC.  I think I might be able to run the sweep phase
in a separate thread, thus speeding up GC.

4) create a ruby tutorial gem, which supplements the RI information for
core class by adding tutorials to them [yea!].  It would be wiki
editable and every so often the wiki content snurfed up and packaged
into a gem with only documentation in it [no real code].  That's the
initial thought anyway.

5) create gem plugin to add pre-install hooks [ex: "apt-get install
some_dependency"]

6) create an "optimized" edition of Ruby--i.e. an REE but for 1.9 [so
tcmalloc, tuned GC to start, GCC profile optimized, etc.]

7) try to crack down and kill some of the outstanding bugs in the core.

8) try to update mod_rails to allow for "per virtualhost"
PassengerMaxInstancesPerApp

9) a ruby optimizing pre processor
converts things like
def go
  if a == '3'

@_3 = '3'
def go
 if a == @_3

Thus avoiding extra allocations [also an optimized erb].

10) try to optimize rails [is there much possible there though?]

So anyway feel free to vote on your favorite [+1 it] and say why.  I
don't want to work on something that people don't feel is important :)

Here's my own:
+1 for number 1.  It might be useful across ruby implementations, and
would make ruby look better in synthetic benchmarks.

Thanks.

=r