>> 1) Full implementation of a Ruby GUI  ('a la Swing) ?
>>

>I fully second Curt Hibbs' opinion on that one. This would probably be
>too slow like AWT and SWINGs were (sorry.. are ;-) ) in Java. So I would
>definitely reject that one.

Slow is relative. I am implementing something I think I will call
Ruby-Wise (WIdget SEt), which takes basic elements from X, but builds all
fancy stuff from Ruby. For flexibility and for a small footprint.
And for an easy API.

My target platform is an iPAQ, so speed is a matter of concern to me.
So far I am not disappointed :)

Btw, when comparing to Ruby/Tk, anything beats that on an iPAQ...

>> 2) GUI Abstraction Layer  ('a la Locana / Anygui )
>
>This is to me the most promising route to go. And again I'm fully
>aligned with Curt's reply (no he did not pay me anything :-). I have
>looked at the Eclipse project and spent some time investigating the SWT
>library.

[snip explanation I heard partially on FOSDEM, too]

Be my guest :)
What is a native look and feel for X? Athena? Motif? Gtk?

It sounds like you must strike a balance between extreme 1) (portability)
and extreme 2) (speed), where SWT seems to have such a good balance.
I hope I can give Ruby-Wise a similar balance.

Bye,
Kero.

--

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |