Hi, some help please ...

Is there a way to use webfetcher, or at least net/http, with a
passworded URL?

Given a URL like
http://jeffries:nowhere / www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/secrets.htm
that would work in a browser, I can't seem to make webfetcher or
net/http open the page, e.g. with

 require 'net/http'

url = "jeffries:nowhere / www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/secrets.htm"

proxy = Net::HTTP.start(url) do
  |h|
  puts h
end

The message is
	/cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.6/net/protocol.rb:507:in `new':
getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname. (SocketError)

The same url copied and pasted from my browser doesn't work as the
string to send to Net"HTTP.start.  (with or without the http:// at the
front  (start wants not to have that, in general).

What am I missing, and where should I have read about it?

Thanks!

Ronald E Jeffries
http://www.XProgramming.com
http://www.objectmentor.com