James Gray wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Thomas Thomassen wrote:
>
>> I checked the $KCODE variable and it returns "UTF8".
>>
>> Now, what does that do to Ruby?
>
> I answer that question in detail in this article:
>
> http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/the_kcode_variable_and_jcode_library
>
>> Why does File.exist?('c:\Test ��?') fail if it's UTF-8 encoded?
>
> The IO methods are not $KCODE aware.  You will likely need to
> transcode the Strings you pass them.
>
> James Edward Gray II

What does the IO method require? Is it the Ruby IO methods or the system
methods it calls that doesn't handle UTF-8?
Windows' NTFS format supports UTF-16 encoding - would it work if I
transcoded the strings from UTF-8 to UTF-16?
I'm trying to avoid transcoding to a 8bit only encoding as that'll just
cause grief when I encounter characters outside the range.