Gregory Brown wrote:
> I  missed why you wouldn't just set $KCODE="U" and stick w. UTF-8?
Because Sketchup uses Ruby to allow users to write plugins for the
applications. That flag, as far as I understand, is global and would
affect all scripts which might break a number of things. Also, the Ruby
1.8 version shipped with SU is not the whole package. Not sure if it's
possible even if I wanted it.

> Anyway, I *think* chars.pack("C*") is going to give you ISO-8859-1 but
> someone else will need to verify for you.
>
> -greg
I'm currently looking into if the UTF-8 decimal codepoints (in range
128-255) are similar to the ISO-8859-1 or ANSI. That might be the
answer.