----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Menard" <jimm / io.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>; <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: The GUI Returns

> "Horacio Lopez" <vruz / ruby-es.org> writes:
>
> > Again, which way should we go ?  (in pain order)
> >
> > 1) Full implementation of a Ruby GUI  ('a la Swing) ?
>
> How about a full implementation a la Squeak? Take over the whole screen
(or
> one window) and draw everything in it from the ground up. All you need are
> a few primitive bit blit operations. That way, everything can be built up
> from the ground floor.
>
> I'd love to use a Ruby Morphic.
>
> Jim
> --
> Jim Menard, jimm / io.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
> "Given infinite time, 100 monkeys could type out the complete works of
> Shakespeare. Win 98 source code? Eight monkeys, five minutes."
>     -- NullGrey

I'd love that too,  but for now I think that we should try to
build on top of what we already have.

Curt Hibbs and Laurent Julliard have described the approach we
are taking in the FreeRIDE project, which borrows some nice ideas
from Eclipse.

Mathieu Bouchard said he would be interested in supporting
a Ruby GUI project, (or Ruby Morphic, in this case),
he has a lot of experience, he developed Ruby X11 and
he knows the inners of GDK and GDI.
Sean Russell also expressed his interest on a standard Ruby GUI
in past threads, as well as others.

I have been lurking a lot in #squeak and squeaky sites, and
what turned me down was the absolute lack of internationalization
support. I also read a bit  of Self Morphic (sun microsystems papers)
and the Self-interest maillist.

If the ideal Ruby GUI ever comes true, it should be nice to port
FreeRIDE for that GUI, and hundreds of other Ruby applications
as well.

So I repeat  (yes, I am aware someone said this before)

Could we possibly create a specific place for discussion on
the ideal Ruby GUI API ?   (Morphic or not)

I know everyone is short of spare time, and I am also pretty
busy with the projects I am involved in, but think of it
as sort of  a GUI Task Force, with part-time delegates from
major Ruby Projects.

cheers,
                  vruz

http://www.ruby-es.org - Ruby en Espa?ol
FreeRIDE - http://www.rubyide.org
The Free Ruby Integrated Development Environment