On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Roger Pack<rogerpack2005 / gmail.com> wrote:
> MRI returns memory to the system if it is alloc'ed and free'ed
> besides that it allocates memory in ever increasing heap sizes, which
> means that they have less and less of a chance to be reclaimed [though
> in 1.9 they are 2K each so less of a problem...I guess].
> Anyway, to the point--try 1.9 or 1.8.x with MBARI patches they are much
> better with memory [or jruby].

I'd definitely recommend trying JRuby. There's a few knobs you can
turn to keep memory under a specific size (default is to let it grow
no larger than 512MB heap, but many apps will run in a lot less) which
means it won't use up all available memory unless you tell it to. And
though it uses more memory out of the box, if you have a large dataset
or heavy object churn and high loads, JRuby does extremely well.

- Charlie