Not (intentionally) flamebait:

Thomas Hurst wrote:

> Funny, I have Office XP right here.. isn't that mainstream enough?   Not
> that I actually use it, Vim is where I do pretty much all my productive
> work.

Now, that's something you don't see every day.  A Mac user who uses vi.
What a dichotomy.  The OS with the shortest learning curve paired with the
editor with the longest (well, emacs arguments aside).

> Hey, how about adding an Emacs/Vim flamewar to this thread? ;)
>
> Wow, browsers, OS's and editors in one thread, maybe we can squeeze
> shells (zsh > bash), window managers (WindowMaker > Enlightenment) and
> languages (Ruby > Perl) in too? :)

Hmm... KDE vs. Gnome?  How about PPC vs. x86? Ok, here's a go:

"Wow.  Those Macintosh Emacs users programming Perl are real losers.  A
*real* programmer uses Gnome on Linux x86 (without a Rambus memory
subsystem or a Voodoo GC -- Matrox rulz!) and programs Ruby FLTK apps with
vi on zsh.  And is a Catholic anti-abortionist gun-control advocate, to
boot.  Yah opensource!  MS sucks!  Boo yah!"

Err... it just occurred to me that the Geek Code generally condenses most of
this into a two or three line preferences summary.  I don't know if the
recent versions include Ruby, though.

> I never had to recompile anything.  The fact that I choose to every time
> I reboot (not very often :) is irrelevent.

Yeah.

Actually, I didn't understand the original point; many Linux users do roll
their own kernels, but not most, I'd guess.  And (again, not intending
flamebait, but) don't MS users have to constantly be installing security
patches, or buying new OS versions and installing them?  I mean, if you're
going to complain about having to compile kernels...  obviously, you don't
/have/ to ever upgrade any OS.  I have a Linux box (my web and mail server,
with about a dozen user accounts) that has been running constantly for...
lessseee... 276 days now, with the 2.2.15 kernel.  I'm waiting until the
end of a year to install a new hard drive ;-)

--
 |..  "The Best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec"
<|>   -- anon
/|\
/|