----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Hibbs" <curt / hibbs.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 3:46 AM
Subject: RE: The GUI Returns
> Horacio Lopez wrote:
> > I am aware of the Ruby-based Locana project,
> > (http://www.locana.org) but it
> > looks to me like people didn't show much interest on it.
> > (maybe I am wrong, but I haven't seen many posts on Locana in ruby-talk)
> >
> > Again, which way should we go ?  (in pain order)
> >
> > 1) Full implementation of a Ruby GUI  ('a la Swing) ?
>
> I would not choose this approach because I would be very concerned about
> both performance in full integration with each supported platform
> (cut/paste, drag/drop, expected behavioral details for each supported
> platform, etc.).

Yes, I agree it's too soon for that.
Maybe when we have a JIT.
I still keep an eye on Squeak and Self though.

> > 2) GUI Abstraction Layer  ('a la Locana / Anygui )
>
> I still like the approach that the Eclipse project has taken because it
> provides an GUI abstraction layer, but uses native widgets on each
platform.
> It also avoids the lowest-common-denominator problem by augmenting native
> capabilities wherever they do not fulfill the  requirements of the Eclipse

I agree with you, and I really  like your ideas in the FreeRIDE
GUI Framework..

> > FreeRIDE - http://www.rubyide.org
> > The Free Ruby Integrated Development Environment
>
> Hey, I like your FreeRIDE "signature", I think I'll borrow it to use
myself.

> Curt

Of course, let's spread the wealth.
I could have put a commercial ad there, but our open projects
are better served this way.
cheers,
                vruz

http://www.ruby-es.org - Ruby en Espa?ol