Hi folks,

If you haven't already heard, my book "Ruby Best Practices" is now
available in print!

The whole manuscript will be made freely available under a creative
commons license in March 2010, but now is the time to buy a copy if
you want to support my efforts as well as O'Reilly for publishing it.

== Where to buy

It should be showing up in stores now, as I confirmed it's available
here in New Haven, but if you want it online:

Directly from the publisher:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596523008/

Amazon (likely cheaper, but less $ goes to me that way :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596523009

== What is the book like?

It's probably not like any other Ruby book you've read.  It isn't a
reference book or tutorial, but instead, more like commentary you'd
expect to hear in a code review.
RBP walks through a whole bunch of real open source code, and tries
really hard to keep the balance tipped towards realistic examples
rather than contrived ones.

It isn't a list of rules or patterns, instead, it tries to drive home
the importance of context in problem solving by using a lot of case
studies.
It's meant to be read by the chapter, so it won't make for an easy
skim.  But if you sit down with your favorite reference book[0] on
your desk, and your development environment at the ready, it should be
an enjoyable read.

It is a Ruby 1.9 book, but most of the techniques should work fine in
Ruby 1.8.6.

The book is split into 8 core topics and 3 appendices.  These cover:

  * Test Driven Development
  * API Design
  * Dynamic Ruby (Metaprogramming, DSLs, etc)
  * Text Processing and File management (IO, regex, etc)
  * Functional Programming Techniques
  * Debugging / Troubleshooting
  * M17N / L10N (Globalization)
  * Project Maintenance (rake, Rubygems, rdoc, etc)

  * Some Ruby 1.8 <-> 1.9 compatibility tips
  * Ruby's Standard Library (Quick sample of 10 libs)
  * Ruby Worst Practices

If you're curious how these chapters are organized, you can look at a
free copy of a pre-production version of the metaprogramming chapter:
http://cdn.oreilly.com/books/9780596523008/Mastering_the_Dynamic_Toolkit.xml.pdf

== Target Audience

Anyone who wants to improve their craft as Ruby developers.  While it
may not be suitable for a raw beginner, it will be useful to anyone
who has completed a small project in Ruby, and downright fun for a
more seasoned Ruby hacker.

== Questions?

Just let me know what's on your mind.   I'd be happy to answer
whatever questions folks might have about the book.

-greg

[0] Either the Pickaxe or "The Ruby Programming Language" should do
the trick.  If you're more of a Ruby beginner, be sure to read David
Black's "Well Grounded Rubyist" as well.