I have some classes whose instances have C data as well as Ruby attrs.
If I Marshal::dump them, I lose the C part. So I have to define _dump in
my classes. Well, it's not so hard to pack my C data up into a string. I
can even put this string in a Ruby attribute. But then how do I dump the
Ruby part? I don't really want to reimplement all the work in
Marshal::dump just for my classes. I wish there was a way to call
Marshal::dump with an argument that said "ignore the _dump". Then my
_dump could first pack the C data into an attr, and then call dump in
this way, and I'd be all set. Shouldn't Marshal::dump be more easy to
reuse?

Anybody know a way to do this?

--
Joel VanderWerf                          California PATH, UC Berkeley
mailto:vjoel / path.berkeley.edu                     Ph. (510) 231-9446