Hello all,

<RANT mood="moderate">
I had a look at a Python project at
http://anygui.sourceforge.net/

Quoting them:
"The purpose of the Anygui project is to create an easy-to-use, simple, and
generic module for making graphical user interfaces in Python. Its main
feature is that it works transparently with many different GUI packages on
most platforms. "

This sounds very close to a rant we had some weeks ago about what way we
should go if we wanted a coherent standard GUI API that doesn't suck.
I am not sure yet if they will achieve their goals, but it's something to
have an eye on, if they do it with Python, we can do it with Ruby too.

I am aware of the Ruby-based Locana project,  (http://www.locana.org) but it
looks to me like people didn't show much interest on it.
(maybe I am wrong, but I haven't seen many posts on Locana in ruby-talk)

Again, which way should we go ?  (in pain order)

1) Full implementation of a Ruby GUI  ('a la Swing) ?

2) GUI Abstraction Layer  ('a la Locana / Anygui )

3) Give up, code for one toolkit and resign being fully cross-platform
(or code for different toolkits and platforms, a coder's nightmare)

4) Don't do GUIs

</RANT>

Just thinking out loud, what's your opinion ?

cheers,

                vruz

----
http://www.ruby-es.org - Ruby en Espa?ol
FreeRIDE - http://www.rubyide.org
The Free Ruby Integrated Development Environment