Objective-C is a great language, and there are optional garbage
collectors you can use.  But if you just want some extra speed, why not
just write the parts that need it in C?  It's just that Objective-C is a
nice small OO system around C, useful for organizing C code, unlike C++
which adds a whole raft of other stuff.  Ruby code written in C looks a
lot like normal Ruby, and Ruby's OO system serves essentially the same
purpose as OC when writing C, so why not use its Object model (to
organize your C instead of OC) and avoid the pain of the inevitable
discrepencies that always arise when interfacing two languages?

--
Alexander Schofield